Long Arm Statutes for Child Support Collection

Most parents do not know about long-arm statutes, though if they did, it would eliminate a lot of the heartache that goes along with collecting across state lines. You may remember in a previous chapter that I said that if the non-payor lives out of state, one of many steps that must be taken is that you must have your judgment (s) registered in the state where the non-payor lives before you can attempt to collect any money. I’m about to make tons of parents smile and have a drink on me by sharing an exception to that rule.

Let’s say that the obligor lives out of state, but he owns another home in the state where you reside, and your state is the originating state of the child support order. If that were the case, the non-payor has a legal residence in the same state as you do so the judgment would not have to be registered where he lives because your state still has personal jurisdiction over him.  This saves you an unnecessary step.  There are many examples of personal jurisdiction.  Another would be if he works in your state but lives in another, or if he lives and works in another state, but the company that he works for has a branch or branches in your state.

(Excerpt from Deadbeat vs. Deadbroke by Simone Spence – Chapter 14: interstate Child Support Collection)


Simone Spence is not a lawyer and she does not provide legal, or advice. She was a child support collections consultant for over 20 years and has written three highly regarded child support collection books. She developed the collections platform “Athena.”

In general, only a licensed attorney can give legal advice, but there is a distinction between “legal advice” and “legal information.” Any non-lawyer can simply recite laws, but it is illegal for a non-lawyer or unlicensed attorney to offer legal advice.

Reprint Permissions available upon request